Tuesday, December 23, 2008

the real christmas story


Merry Christmas from the Tumaini Family! I'm now in Nairobi to spend Christmas at the SIM compound, but I've actually already experienced my Christmas back at "home" in Kinangop. We started preparing for our Tumaini Christmas play back in November, and it all came together (well, for the most part) this past week. We had a dress rehearsal so that the children could perform the real thing for our church on Christmas Day. Each of the children made his or her own costume....it's amazing what you can do with some twine, bedsheets, cotton balls, and a strand of garland! We planned to act out the story straight from Matthew and Luke, but because of a bit of a communication barrier we ended up with mostly songs rather than speaking parts. Speaking parts or not, the children were wonderful. They sang"Joy to the World" with all their hearts and loved shouting "Go Tell it on the Mountain." It really is beautiful to see the story of Jesus' birth acted out so innocently and untainted.

Two generous churches and families from home arranged for all the children to receive Christmas presents this year! Every child was given a blanket, doll, and coloring book with Swahili Bible verses. They LOVED it all! Katie, Ryan, and I made Christmas chapati and little notes for them to go with their gifts and we all had a wonderful time. The kids loved their gifts and were so thankful.

The Lord has used this year's Christmas season to readjust how I treat this holiday. I LOVE Christmas...the music, the shopping, the decorations, the get-togethers....I love it all. I'm realizing that sometimes I lose the real reason for Christmas amidst all of that wonderful fun though. Christmas would still be Christmas at Tumaini with or without gifts, Christmas chapati, or even our Christmas play. For instance, one of our boys who knows how to celebrate Christmas asked if he could sell one of the rabbits to buy his friend a pair of school uniform pants because he couldn't afford them. I've been reminded to really celebrate the birth of our Saviour by loving Him and loving others with every opportunity that I'm given.

I pray that you each have an amazing Christmas and know how much you're loved!

Much love,
Lindsey

No comments: