Tuesday, July 22, 2008

my first week...

July 21, 2008

Hey Everyone! I hope everyone is doing well! I’ve survived my first week in Kenya I’ve now been at the orphanage for five days and I’ve already learned that I have a lot of growing ahead of me during the next year! Life in Africa is far different than I ever imagined. There is a lot of quiet time here—even with 87 children running around! There are 87 children enrolled in the “GOA Educational Centre” and they are here from 8am until 4pm everyday. Only 76 of the children actually live here and they stay busy from 5:30am until 9:30pm Monday thru Friday. The children, as well as the adults, are so welcoming and friendly. We still have a language barrier but it’s clear that we’re thankful to meet each other. I’m living with people from the Kikuyu tribe and so they speak far more Kikuyu than they do Swahili. I guess I’ll just use that little bit of Swahili I learned when I’m visiting in Nairobi! I’ve spent a lot of time with the ladies in the kitchen and they’re kind enough to try and teach me a few words everyday. They laugh a lot as it’s hard to make out the English they know through my Southern accent. I’m working on little changes like not using “y’all” so much…it’s harder than you think!

I’d love to say this first week has been a piece of cake and I can already tell I’ll just love every minute here…but I should be honest. It’s hard here. I’ve been pushed physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. Most of the physical changes are because I’ve been so blessed to live where I’ve lived…even spoiled! It’s chilly here with no heat and with what I would hardly call warm water (but it isn’t freezing like it could be). The food has been different for this picky eater and the ladies just keep heaping it at me because they say “If your stomach tells you that you’re hungry, you’ll start thinking of home.” Emotionally, I’ve missed friends and family, hugs from people who know me and knowing what tomorrow will be like. Doing everything I can to memorize this word and that word and actually pronounce it somewhat like I should has been a challenge mentally. And spiritually, I’ve been praying with a desperate heart to feel God’s presence with me. I’m seeing that I truly have to believe God’s word when He says that He is always with me and that He has a plan. I’ve had time where if I don’t pray, read the Bible, or write something that I might burst into tears. Because of this I've found little bits of encouragement like Psalm 62:8 that says “O my people, trust in him at all times. Pour out your heart to him, for God is our refuge.” Even after all of these challenges, I have to say that God has been faithful and I’m surviving I trust that these days of just surviving will eventually turn into enjoying and then even thriving here. “Commit your actions to the Lord and your plans will succeed.” I’m not sure what “success” will be in this case but I’m just praying that God’s plan will be done and that He’ll receive glory. So that’s it for now—just committing each day and each action to the Lord and seeing how it turns out.

I found a perfect quote in one of my books on Sunday afternoon:
“Make the least of all that goes and the most of all that comes. Don’t regret what is past. Cherish what you have. Look forward to all that is to come. And most important of all, rely moment by moment on Jesus Christ.” – Gigi Graham Tchividjian

So that’s it for now and here are a few things you can be praying for:
Safety and health (roads and food particularly – no fridge)
Staying focused on ministry
Adjusting to different living style
Health of the children – from colds/coughs to getting HIV test results

Praise God for:
Safe arrival
Gracious kitchen ladies
Email and phone contact from home

8 comments:

Malia said...

OH LINDSEY I am SO glad you were abble to update your blog...& SO SO glad to hear you are at least making some friends, even if you cannot understand what each other is saying yet! GOD bless you & we are constantly praying for you, more to come! LOVE MALIA

Jon Miller said...

It was so good to hear from you and that things are going well for you in (Ethiopia) Hahaha… I read what you have been going through and I pray that you will settle into your routine and begin to see the rewarding and wonderful things you have in front of you. Just knowing that you care about those you are trying to help can put a smile on someones face. Remember that God challenges each of us differently but in every challenge is a lesson learned and one that makes us not only a better person on the inside but one who is better prepared to do the bidding of the lord. May your days be filled with joy and love which will bring you warmth!!!! (Because I think you are in for many days of cool showers ahead of you) Stay in touch and my God bless you in your experience.

Margaret said...

Lindsey,
So sorry that your lst week has been a struggle, but surely it will get better. I think of you throughout the day & always wonder what you're doing @ that particular time. Justs continue to "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; And lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths. (Proverbs 3: 5,6. Love u bunches, Margaret

Cindy said...

I am so thankful for the times we get to chat! But the times we can't chat/email, I am thinking about you and praying for you. One week down, many more to go, but remember, you are making a difference in all the lives of the people you come in contact with. You don't have to speak the same language to show love! And I know they feel that from you. The Lord is teaching you something, even in this chaos. Things will get better...by the time you come home you and the people in the orphanage will probably have your own language...haha. I love you, miss you and can't wait to hear lots more!

Unknown said...

Lindsey...my sweet, special friend; what a blessing you are to those who know you! You are indeed in the midst of one of the most challenging experiences of your life, BUT your growth and blessings will be more & more apparent as each day goes by. What an inspiration you are & so very wise to be so young! I am a bit envious of your ability to go & do what you you have certainly been called to do. Your obedience to God will definitely be a huge blessing. I will pray for you & keep you close to my heart, as always. Remember that love in any language is easily interpreted as just that, even without words...you exude it with your sweet smile and eyes. Remember Acts 1:8...you have that power!
Love & miss you! Deb

Heather said...

Mama Jo I can empathize with the tears at times. Even though I'm not in a foreign country I feel like it at times. It's been almost two years here in Texas and i haven't found one friend who was near as great as you girls were to me. I never realized how fortunate I was to have you all in my life. Your blog post was and is encouraging to me. Keep your head up and I will defintiley be praying for you!! So glad you have a blog! I've added your link to mine so I'll be sure to check it often!

creynolds said...

Hang in there, Lindsey Jo. I'm excited about the work that God is doing in you through the struggle. Even in Africa, you are encouraging me in TN. I was going through a pretty rough time, myself last week when I read your blog and it really brought me out of the dark and reminded me to preservere... and to rely on God instead of myself. Thanks for the reminder. Court and I are praying for you.

Heather said...

Happy Birthday Lindsey Jo! Love you!!